High Court Buildings
High Court Buildings | High Court Road Parrys | George Town | Chennai | Tamil Nadu | 600104
The Madras High Court is the high court of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The court is one of the three High Courts in India established in the three Presidency Towns of Bombay, Calcutta, and Madras by letters patent granted by Queen Victoria, bearing date 26 June 1862. It exercises original jurisdiction over the city of Chennai and appellate jurisdiction over the entire state of Tamil Nadu and Union territory of Puducherry, as well as extraordinary original jurisdiction, civil and criminal, under the letters patent and special original jurisdiction for the issue of writs under the Constitution of India. Covering 107 acres, the court complex is one of the largest in the world, next only to London.
It consists of 74 judges and a chief justice who is in charge of the general policy adopted in the administration of justice. In September 2016, the center government forwarded names of 15 new judges to the President for his signature on their warrants of appointment. Of the 15, nine are from among lawyers and six from the subordinate judiciary. Justice V. K. Tahilramani of the Bombay High Court has been appointed as Chief Justice of Madras High Court, though she is yet to assume office after Justice Indira Banerjee was elevated to the Supreme Court of India.
Dr Ambedkar Law College started its journey in 1991 under the stewardship of its Founder-correspondent, Mr R. Thippa Reddy, Bsc. LLM, Dr Ambedkar Law College was established in the month of September 1991, under Sri Lakshmi Venkateswara Educational Society, a registered organisation under The Societies Registration Act, 1860 registered on 4thMarch 1991 with the Government of Andhra Pradesh. Founded in 1991, Dr Ambedkar Law College is the best existing law school in India.